Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tired at Mcdonalds



They call McDonalds Maca's here for whatever reason. In any event, it's one of the only places to get free wifi in Sydney, so here I am.

First off, before I forget, a bit more on the reef:
So at the third site there was a snorkel tour which I was with for a bit but it was just too crowded and everyone was kicking everyone because people couldn't figure out how to tread water with flippers on so everyone swam in circles. Whatever, I got annoyed and left. Upon leaving I saw a shark. In my infinite wisdom I decided I needed a picture of it. It was little far away for a picture when I first saw it. So I started chasing it, I almost got close enough for the picture, but who'd have guessed sharks are better swimmers than people. Sorry to say, no picture of the shark.
All in all the boat ride was fairly smooth, a little choppy at times but that is to be expected. They had plenty of white paper bags with (and I quote) "All the instructions you'll need on the inside of the bag in the event of sea sickness"

In any event, I went on some trails and finished booking everything but zorbing in New Zealand. Tomorrow I should be going to the aquarium and the imax and some other stores around darling harbor and what not. So far I've had a rough ride getting into Sydney. The landing was a little turbulent but eased up once we were on final. I actually like the turbulence so that was cool. The pilot totally scrubbed the landing, bounced a couple times and came in a little fast but whatever, it seems that the pilots on US airlines are generally better. I had called the hostel earlier today to verify that I could get picked up at the airport for free as I'm staying 4 nights. I discussed time and everything with them. They said to just call back when I landed and they would send the shuttle. So I land, I get my bags, I call, shuttle stopped running about 20 minutes after I made the phone call in Cairns. Go figure. So now I have to find my own transit there. All the desks to buy shuttle bus tickets are empty with signs saying go to this location which eventually lead to a location that didn't exist anymore, only its four anchoring points on the floor remained. Suffice to say I was getting pretty agitated at this point. The airport, and the streets too, are filled with people that have no sense for the people walking around them. I've never seen it so bad as it is here. I knew that I'd need an atm so I asked a person where the closed atm was and where the buses were. She told me to check the tables for the bus so I explained that they were empty, she responded with I don't know then. She then directed me to an atm that was within line of site but out of order rather than directing me to the one that was just hidden behind the wall right next to their counter that was working. I ended up finding the buss for flight crews and one of them showed me where I could get the bus to the city. So I'm here and was able to get a partial refund for the shuttle bus ticket at the hostel. The hostel is called Maze and for good reason. Almost impossible to find your way through there. Also completely without stairs which is always fun. In cairns I got tired of cramming everything into one rolly bag so I took two which made the stairs all the more fun. The room was like a sauna when I walked in as they were using a space heater. Was pretty interesting coming from Cairns where it was around 30C today to here where it is currently 14C and then I'll be off to New Zealand where it will be quite a bit colder.

Anyways, I need to drink more as I'm pretty dehydrated from doing some hiking in the intense winter heat in Cairns this morning. I'm probably going to go get a drink and go to bed now so that I can wake up early....


Interesting thought:
Vista Ultimate SP1: 344 mb
Monthly internet allowance at SCU: 250 mb
Vista= you're screwed

My computer is in sore need of updates...

No comments:

Post a Comment