Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 1

So today we all woke up early as a result of jet lag and going to bed early. We went to a place called Twisted Sista for Breakfast and for $5.50 AUD I got a homemade bannana bread toast (picture to follow) and then on the side I also got a "rainforest" tea which was of the red variety and quite good. For lunch we just got small things I got a scroll which is pretty much like a cinnamon bun only it was filled with other stuff. They had a chedar cheese filled one and (the one I got) a sundried tomato and olive filled one, that was $3.30. We then went to the Woolsworth and got some food to just eat in the hostel. Things are pretty comprably priced but most of the big name brands of the stuff that we were looking for were non existent.

In any event after that we decided to just relax on the beach for a bit. I ran for about two miles along the surf and then we had a catch of the frisbee and waded in the water a little bit. The beach is pretty nice. Though we've been warned that it is uncharacteristically warm, the water was nice and clear with nice sand. Dolphins were pretty consistently about in the distance and occassionally came close to shore. I unfortunately cannot upload my pictures at the moment I'm sitting at an internet cafe because it actually has faster internet but consequently I have to use their computer and the camera is set to take pictures in a special format that prevents me from doing anything right now. I assumed that there would be wireless and that I could just convert and upload on my computer but alas that is not the case.

I've kind of been dubbed the photographer as a result of Chris's camera. In addition to that we will be starting a photobucket group where we will all upload photos so rest assured there's bound to be some pictures of me. For class tomorrow we have to be ready for an 8am bus. Apparently we're still one person short as her flight got delayed leaving and she wasn't able to make the flight in LA so she'll be getting here momentarily so we're all about to head back to the hostel to meet her. I'm hoping to get some pictures of the sun set tonight so maybe I'll upload a few pictures though it takes about 10-20 minutes to upload pictures back at the hostel.

So first off, Dad would love it here there is an incredible variety of restaurants in the area. Vietnamese, Indian, Thai, Sushi conveyor, Chinese, Japanese, American, Australian, cafe's, coffee stands, ice cream, organic doughnuts, etc etc etc. In any event, we went to a Thai place tonight, I got a mixed entre which was a small dish and some spring rolls on the side and we kind of all shared and it came to $6 a head so that was pretty good. We ate outside because it was a nice night. We then went for gelato as a way of celebrating the start of work tomorrow which means no more going out for food. The gelato I got was a mix of Italian cookies and cream and chocolate sorbet. The chocolate sorbet was the best chocolate cold treat I've ever had. Very intense chocolate flavor with the perfect consistency throughout, the color was nearly black.

Anyways we're about to go to bed for an early class tomorrow. Some one here likes to run daily and wanted someone to run with so I volunteered so I'll probably be doing that.

One last note before I go to bed:
While access to iit mail has been restored accessing it via the internet is not going to happen. It's like they have dial up feeding into a router. It's taken over 40 minutes so far to load my email account and it's still not done yet. I'm going to need to find a good free internet cafe other than I guess you'll just have to send me messages via the blog or im or skype. If you want to see anything on the blog let me know and I'll see what I can do. That's all for now...