Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 3

Sorry for the lack of creativity in post names but I just don't have it in me now. In any event today we got to sleep in a little bit. I'm still jetlagged but less so than when I got here but it works to my advantage because it wakes me up in time to go for a run in the morning on the beach.

I have some cool plans for the weekend, they are taking us up to the Gold Coast and letting us loose so that will be cool. Today we went and met some local farmers and developers trying to provide ecnomical and sustainable solutions to food production while taking a look at aspects it affects of tourism. As I learn more I should be baloe to post more detailed information (which I happen to think Alicia would be interested in if someone cares to invite her to the group as I don't have her email address).
After meeting with the local people in Ballina, we went to the light house of Byron Bay and met with Nigel Stewart who has a mixed blood heritage but with Aboriginy relatives. He is working hard to go back to his roots and spoke to us about how the English came in and changed everything. He then went on to tell us abot the Aboriginy culture and told us some old stories and that the light house was built ontop of an ancient cermonial ground. As an added bonus he played the digeridoo for us and that was pretty cool. He taught us some Aboriginy words but I can't remember them nor could I spell them. After that we walked about 2 mintues to the eastern most point in Australia and saw some whales. I climbed on the rocks a bit with some other people to get a better view. Pictures will be posted eventually when I find some decent internet that I can use my computer with.
I was handed an African restaurant menu today which I will probably end up going to with some people on Friday or something. Other than that I've really started limiting my going out for food and have some corn flakes and pasta and stuff to cook back at the hostel.

I'll add more to this post later as I think of more stuff to write, this is just kind of off the cuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment