Monday, June 22, 2009

I feel like a million bucks!

Well, maybe $30, more on that later.

So today we woke up at 7:30 and went to Lismore (where the Southern Cross University campus is located). We woke up early so that we could partake in a pancake breakfast as part of the orientation for the new students as they are just starting their spring semester. (Universities are called uni's here and semesters are called mesties) In any event, turns out the pancake breakfast is on Wednesday, so they gave us some breakfast vouchers and we ate at the plaza, I had quiche and green tea which was pretty good.

We then went to class and talked about indigenous tourism which was fairly interesting. Then we got kind of side tracked and started talking about Noah's (Noah being our instructor) house as he has a house made of rammed earth and a composting toilet and solar power and other such eco friendly appliances. Though seemingly hardcore, he doesn't hesitate to indulge in things like having a computer or a fridge and the like. He also has a farm in which he raises animals and stuff for food and recreation.

Additionally, we got grades back today for our two papers. Due to some technical difficulties, I only received one of my grades and I got a Distinction on it which is the second highest you can get I guess so thats good. The class transfers as pass/fail so I'm not too worried.

After class we went to the pizza luncheon for the new students. Which had some decent bbq meat pizza and some decent veggie pizza. Afterwards the girls decided they all wanted to go back to campus and sleep. I decided I wanted to stay and participate in more orientation activities and meet some new students. So they went back and at that time the students were in a lecture about culture shock in the like as they were catering international students mostly today. So I went to the on campus koala hospital as they have wild koalas on campus (which I found one) and they treat them for diseases like conjunctivitis and others that I can't spell. If they can't treat it they send them up to Steve Irwin's hospital. I got a whole tour of the rather small facility but it was very informative and I was grateful for the tour. I then went back and participated in a soccer match. We did a warm up game and then a competitive game. I sustained one injury as I got a little competitive for the ball while on defense and a guy named Dallas (who is from Queensland and is of Fiji heritage.... how does one make Fiji and adjective? ) and I trapped the ball as he was going with it and his knee went into my thigh. I have a bit of a limp at the moment and I anticipate a good bruise but nothing to worry about. All in all pretty fun. At the end of the game 3 people were awarded prizes, myself being one of them. So this was where I got my $30 + a pen and pad of paper + sticky notes all neatly packaged in a Chinese food take away box (as it is not take out here). SO after the game I was going to go back to my stuff and hang out there for a bit ( I left my stuff locked with a person I knew that worked here) but decided to go hang out with the people I played soccer with. Hung out in one of their dorms for a little bit then we all met up again and went to dinner. I should be meeting them again on Wednesday for breakfast.

I then got a ride back from one of the drivers at the uni and had a fun talk with him. I can't recall his name at the moment but I want to say Mike. He was a student there and about to finish his last year of school so that he can become a teacher. After getting back I more or less dropped my stuff off and went out with everyone else to dinner. I just got a milkshake (which was really just incredibly finely chopped ice (Blendtech anyone?) and milk and chocolate syrup, not bad but not the same) as they didn't have any drinks at dinner at the uni, just sausages (or hot dogs as they call them back home) and really got veggie patties. After that I came back here and decided to post on here, take a shower and go to bed. Tomorrow we're going to Rocky Creek Dam and Minyon falls so that should be exciting minus the bruise I'll have on my leg.

If someone could do me a favor and look up what happens when you check disposable cameras on a plane (as I presume the one I bought for skydiving has film) and post it as a comment that'd be great.

Current Song
ZZ Top - Sleeping Bag

PS
Sorry again for calling so early

1 comment:

  1. pack the film in your carry on. The high-intensity scanners used for checked luggage will destroy the film.

    ReplyDelete